Honor your mom this Mothers Day with the flower symbolism in this simple and elegant container idea. These types of plants are easily found at your local garden center. The names of plants that you will be using are:
Moss, due to it's cradling nature and habit of growing closely to it's host, have given it the time-honored meaning of "Maternal Love". Parsley, in the Victorian Language of Flowers, stands for "Thanks". So these types of plants combined in a simple pot mean "Thanks, mom, for loving me, and I love you too!"
This is an easy project.
1) Go to your local gardening center and pick out the two plants with the flowers symbolism shown above - moss and parsley. Moss comes in a few different forms. Look for it in the 'ground cover ' section of the garden center. Parsely will most likely be located in the 'herbs' or 'vegetable' section of the garden center. If not, it can easily be grown from seed.
2) Choose the right container. Make it something that relates to your mom. Does she love certain colors or shapes? Consider where she might put this container. Moss and parsley will need some good direct sunlight a few hours a day. They would do well in a kitchen window. What color is her kitchen? What about a more creative container? Does she sew? How about an old sewing box? Does she bake? This would look great in an antique cake mold. Be creative...you get the idea.
3) Choose a good quality bag of potting soil.
4) Fill the container with the potting soil and tuck the plants inside. Water well.
5) Include a card with the gift that includes the flower meanings as well as your thoughtful expression of thanks to your mom.